Wednesday, April 1, 2009

National Poetry Month



That's right people, after a close to 6 month absence from blogging, National Poetry Month has brought me out of my lack of inspiration.

I HATED poetry in high school, for the most part.  But my senior year, I came to love the works of John Donne, including his Holy Sonnets.  In college, I found more that I liked about poetry than I disliked, and now as a high school teacher, I love poetry.

Now, not all poems are equal, and i do like some poems that are slightly odd, but I like what I like. In honor of this month long celebration, I will periodically post some poems that I enjoy.

This first one is dedicated to my students, and anyone else who struggles with poetry.  I've learned that sometimes it is best just to try not to figure a poem out, but instead, just read and enjoy.

Introduction to Poetry 
by Billy Collins

I ask them to take a poem
and hold it up to the light
like a color slide

or press an ear against its hive.

I say drop a mouse into a poem
and watch him probe his way out,

or walk inside the poem's room
and feel the walls for a light switch.

I want them to waterski
across the surface of a poem
waving at the author's name on the shore.

But all they want to do
is tie the poem to a chair with rope
and torture a confession out of it.

They begin beating it with a hose
to find our what it really means.


No comments: